I'm Only Happy When it Rains
It is raining cats and dogs here. Whole pet stores, actually. This area of MD is built on swampland, and when it rains it feels like it's going to pull you into the netherworld or something. You also get mold, weird flying insects, and because it's not far from DC, rats and cockroaches. I tell ya, it takes strength to be human. Esp. when I read frightening statistics like, in major cities, there are as many rats as human beings! Gee, let's read that one to the kiddies for a bedtime treat. Yuck. Seriously, yuck.
Ah, well. Because I am still on vacation I get to do things like wake up, put on Simon and Garfunkel, and meditate to Bridge Over Troubled Waters, then sit in a big chair while my friend goes off to work and I get to finish watching A Beautiful Mind while drinking coffee. While munching ginger sesame chips from Trader Joes. Trader Joes is quite a place. Sometimes I want to go into these organic food store places carrying a slab of beef and wearing a big fur coat, but I'm twisted, of course. Soon we'll demand that people be made out of hemp, too.
It cracks me up how narcissistic humans are at times (myself, too, mais bien sur!). Like when you're reading ads for roommates. When I was contemplating living in LA ('cause it didn't work out, thus creating hellish feelings of pain and agony -- God forbid I ever just have a nice time! OK, I pull the plug on self-pity, but I'll fill up the tub later) I surfed a lot of Craig's List ads. People in LA seem to be hell-bent on ensuring their roommates are exactly like themselves. Lots of "I'm cool, you'd better be too" nonsense, many requests for pictures (can't live with someone ugly, God forbid!), and basically the general sense that this is LA, goddammit dammit, and we are a hip lot of folk. Losers need not apply.
But beyond the City of Angels, it does strike me that vegetarians, for example, in roommate ads and personal ads, etc. (yes! I've read personal ads! bet you have too!) always want to live with vegetarians plus they have CATS. Apparently, vegetarians rarely like dogs. If they do, I've never seen one advertising for a roommate, goodness knows. SWF, with great cat, vegetarian, seeks same, for plentiful hours creating masterpieces out of tofu. Must pay rent on time, be available for impromptu sex. No, that's just me.
The rain is now coming down in sad waves, and if I was suicidal today, I'd stay indoors and imagine I was in the Bahamas, watching the sun dance on the water. Not that I'm making fun of suicidal people! I should start all my blogs with "Tongue Forever in Cheek. Be Not Afraid". That's why I love the northeast, you can be a smart-ass there. When I lived in DC, it was much harder to be a smart-ass, because people here actually say things like, "Sorry to be politically incorrect..." Be incorrect, you silly motherfucker! While there's still time! Haven't you read The Handmaid's Tale? GOOD GOD, Y'ALL!
War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
Speaking of war, it would only be fair that presidents who wage war on innocent countries might have to go into combat themselves, hmm. I saw Michael Moore's Farenheit 911 (nice rip off of Mr. Bradbury!) and was really struck by his comments about how the poor are often the first to volunteer to go into war. I'm sure a naysayer would have other reasons for that, but I think there's something to that statement. We definitely live in fearful, conservative times, and that's frightening. Curtailing civil liberties is frightening. A lot of things in this world are frightening, but the huge changes in America -- and they are huge, however somehow underground they might seem -- scare me.
Writing, as someone once said, is an aggressive act, which is why they kill writers in war-time. Truth-tellers are the first to go, b/c the world hates truth. Not that I'm putting myself in this category, but I always have the sense when I'm writing that it is an aggressive act, however you might dress it up.
But this is so serious, esp. when there are cookies to eat, songs to write, even. I'll write one about Art Garfunkel getting caught with pot in his suitcase, and call it "Sixties Icons Won't be Separated from their Drugs, Like, Ever".
Happy day, happy ones.
Ah, well. Because I am still on vacation I get to do things like wake up, put on Simon and Garfunkel, and meditate to Bridge Over Troubled Waters, then sit in a big chair while my friend goes off to work and I get to finish watching A Beautiful Mind while drinking coffee. While munching ginger sesame chips from Trader Joes. Trader Joes is quite a place. Sometimes I want to go into these organic food store places carrying a slab of beef and wearing a big fur coat, but I'm twisted, of course. Soon we'll demand that people be made out of hemp, too.
It cracks me up how narcissistic humans are at times (myself, too, mais bien sur!). Like when you're reading ads for roommates. When I was contemplating living in LA ('cause it didn't work out, thus creating hellish feelings of pain and agony -- God forbid I ever just have a nice time! OK, I pull the plug on self-pity, but I'll fill up the tub later) I surfed a lot of Craig's List ads. People in LA seem to be hell-bent on ensuring their roommates are exactly like themselves. Lots of "I'm cool, you'd better be too" nonsense, many requests for pictures (can't live with someone ugly, God forbid!), and basically the general sense that this is LA, goddammit dammit, and we are a hip lot of folk. Losers need not apply.
But beyond the City of Angels, it does strike me that vegetarians, for example, in roommate ads and personal ads, etc. (yes! I've read personal ads! bet you have too!) always want to live with vegetarians plus they have CATS. Apparently, vegetarians rarely like dogs. If they do, I've never seen one advertising for a roommate, goodness knows. SWF, with great cat, vegetarian, seeks same, for plentiful hours creating masterpieces out of tofu. Must pay rent on time, be available for impromptu sex. No, that's just me.
The rain is now coming down in sad waves, and if I was suicidal today, I'd stay indoors and imagine I was in the Bahamas, watching the sun dance on the water. Not that I'm making fun of suicidal people! I should start all my blogs with "Tongue Forever in Cheek. Be Not Afraid". That's why I love the northeast, you can be a smart-ass there. When I lived in DC, it was much harder to be a smart-ass, because people here actually say things like, "Sorry to be politically incorrect..." Be incorrect, you silly motherfucker! While there's still time! Haven't you read The Handmaid's Tale? GOOD GOD, Y'ALL!
War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
Speaking of war, it would only be fair that presidents who wage war on innocent countries might have to go into combat themselves, hmm. I saw Michael Moore's Farenheit 911 (nice rip off of Mr. Bradbury!) and was really struck by his comments about how the poor are often the first to volunteer to go into war. I'm sure a naysayer would have other reasons for that, but I think there's something to that statement. We definitely live in fearful, conservative times, and that's frightening. Curtailing civil liberties is frightening. A lot of things in this world are frightening, but the huge changes in America -- and they are huge, however somehow underground they might seem -- scare me.
Writing, as someone once said, is an aggressive act, which is why they kill writers in war-time. Truth-tellers are the first to go, b/c the world hates truth. Not that I'm putting myself in this category, but I always have the sense when I'm writing that it is an aggressive act, however you might dress it up.
But this is so serious, esp. when there are cookies to eat, songs to write, even. I'll write one about Art Garfunkel getting caught with pot in his suitcase, and call it "Sixties Icons Won't be Separated from their Drugs, Like, Ever".
Happy day, happy ones.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home